Momma Courageous

Parenting Teens With Courage and Candor

More About Me...

I am a mother of four who is insanely passionate about raising kids who are responsible, compassionate, curious, ethical and fun. I am often considered a cross between Mary Poppins and a drill sergeant, but who asked? By day, I am a social media enthusiast, Internet marketer, wife, mother, friend, tennis junkie and owner of Wonderfish Creative Solutions.

Another Tid-Bit

While Momma Courageous is For Mommas and By Mommas, there is definitely something for anyone who has considered pulling out her hair, divorcing the kids, or laughing to keep from crying. So if you've braved the unthinkable and lived long enough to tell the world about it, feel free to share your stories about parenting teens with courage and candor here. Together we will survive these years of teenage angst.

College Road Trip 2009: The Camrymobile Meets Carolina


I think my 24-hour, "wing and a prayer" road trip to North Carolina should earn me at least 35 cool mom points.

I have no clue what I was "smoking" when I loaded my four kids (three teens and a 10 year old) in my 1998 Camrymobile early Friday morning for a spur of the moment road trip, except an insatiable desire for my brood  to go beyond the virtual tours, glossy brochures, and tired information sessions, and experience Duke University and UNC Chapel Hill first hand.

I knew the six hour trip would be an adventure, but never in my wildest dreams did I imagine it would yield such productive fruit.

Fortunately, the drive from Atlanta to NC is an easy one -- no turns, no hassles, just pure open road up I-85. The kids were troopers; they slept a great deal of the way and only argued FIVE or SIX times.  My oldest daughter said it was the best sleep she's had in weeks, and I had time to listen to some great selections on the Gotta Have Gospel #7 2-CD collection, and daydream without interruption. Simply heaven on wheels.


I was sitting pretty for at least 500 miles, but all hell broke loose when I stopped in Highpoint, North Carolina -- the furniture capitol of the U.S.A. and the birthplace of "American Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino. My kids couldn't  give a flip about handcrafted furniture and the city's small town appeal. They begged me to drive pass Biscuitville, get back on the highway, and forget about the furniture all together.
Truth is, I wasn't interested in any of those things. I really wanted to take a sneak peak at Highpoint University. Highpoint  who? Exactly. That's what I thought....until I entered the pearly gates of North Carolina's best kept secret. Their Web site says it best, "Seeing is Believing." 



We couldn't believe our eyes. Highpoint boasts impressive waterfalls, state-of-the-art academic facilities,  trollies, a brand new 90,000 square foot student activity and fitness center complete with outdoor pool and perky lounge chairs, and 150,00 acres of manicured grounds. Who knew that HP was recently voted #1Among z'Up-And-Coming Schools" In U.S. News & World Report. Well, it only took my family 10 minutes to see why.

I know teenagers are the most capricious creatures on the planet, but even I was amazed at how quickly my kids changed their tune.  My once disgruntled motley crew who begged me not to make that right turn into HP, was suddenly singing the school's praises. Even the few who had already made staunch commitments to attend my alma mater, suddenly changed allegiances, called my old school a "dump," and pledged to apply to Highpoint.  TRADERS! All I can say is, "what a difference a college visit makes."

Next stop,  Durham.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



 

different paths

college campus lawn

wires in front of sky

aerial perspective

clouds

clouds over the highway

The Poultney Inn

apartment for rent