Momma Courageous

Parenting Teens With Courage and Candor

More About Me...

I am a mother of four who is insanely passionate about raising kids who are responsible, compassionate, curious, ethical and fun. I am often considered a cross between Mary Poppins and a drill sergeant, but who asked? By day, I am a social media enthusiast, Internet marketer, wife, mother, friend, tennis junkie and owner of Wonderfish Creative Solutions.

Another Tid-Bit

While Momma Courageous is For Mommas and By Mommas, there is definitely something for anyone who has considered pulling out her hair, divorcing the kids, or laughing to keep from crying. So if you've braved the unthinkable and lived long enough to tell the world about it, feel free to share your stories about parenting teens with courage and candor here. Together we will survive these years of teenage angst.

Admission Application Angst

I tried to keep my cool today, and for the most part, I succeeded brilliantly -- If I say so myself. But reality hit like a ton of bricks and blindsided me.  It's January 1, 2010 and why on earth I chose to begin the New Year fighting with a 17 year-old about the best way to tell colleges how wonderful and academically talented she is, AND submit her application to the University of Virginia in time to beat today's deadline, I have no idea. In fact, I can think of about 20 things I would have rather spent my day doing...sleeping is one of them, and attending my co-worker's New Year's party is another. Going to the movies to see "Sherlock Holmes" with the hubby and kids, was also definitely up there as one of my preferred choices....But NOOOOO....instead, my soon-to-be college bound senior almost made me shave my head today.


You heard me right. My confident teen suddenly turned into a sniveling two year old incapable of submitting what is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread -- the Common Application. Accepted by over 130 institutions, I thought the forms and essays required would be a snap to complete considering she had completed most of the information when she was in the final rounds for the Posse Foundation Scholarship to Bard College.

Silly Me. Yes, Momma Courageous, once a high school senior adviser, forgot that each school usually requires a supplemental essay or two in addition to the two essays required for the Common Application. I also forgot that teenagers are unpredictable creatures capable of outlandish outbursts. So, at approximately 4:00 p.m. when we're all headed out for probably the coolest New Year's shindig ever, Gabrielle had a meltdown of monumental proportions. Pure Mayhem!

"It's too much. This is stupid. I just won't apply. Why do I have to do all of this? I probably won't get accepted. My GPA sucks...." Yep. Everything short of calling me a devil in a blue dress!

But Momma Courageous put her keys back in her purse, kicked off her high-heeled boots, and stuck to her guns (I promise I did not resort to physical violence or shoot my daughter, regardless of the what the voice in my head was saying). For the next three hours, I sat by her side (sort of), and played the admissions cop. The application is complete. The admission material has been submitted, and now $60 and several strands of hair later, we must sit and wait. Ugggggggggh.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

Post a Comment



 

different paths

college campus lawn

wires in front of sky

aerial perspective

clouds

clouds over the highway

The Poultney Inn

apartment for rent